October 06, 2010

MALIOBORO AT A GLANCE

It was 7 o'clock at night. I was standing on a renowned street corner in Jogjakarta and trying to believe my eyes. Yeah i was on Malioboro. Been a couple year I didn't retrace my footsteps here.

It was as I've expected. The traffic was heavy. Many traditional sellers burst on the street. I almost couldn't find the path where I'd walk. But that's the unique and artistic thing u could hunt down in Jogja. I was keen to get in the place.

Batik clothes, pants, antique bracelet and necklace coincide in this never-ever-sleep street. And those things are sold in very cheap price. Besides, many art galleries and painting shops abound in here.

Before I went shopping w/ my sister and brother, I dined in lesehan - a restaurant aside the street- where you sit on the floor while you eat. Oh, this is why I love this exotic city totally much.

Then I wandered up to the seller who bought some beautiful accessories. A necklace drew my attention, and I decided to buy one. Meanwhile, my sister and brother bought so many pieces of bags, clothes and pants. Ok, I ran out of money. And yet energy. For we spent our half night to go shopping.

Finally, I stopped our hunting. To wind down after a long tiring shopping, I reclined on a bench under the shade of banyan tree and a dim light.

I caught the night air of Jogja, enjoyed the cold breeze seeping on my face, and likewise spilled my eyes over every single thing around me that is thoughtfully placed. The street lofty lamp, the bench, the big old tree, the shops, the hotels. That's a perfect blend of tradition and modernity. Very exquisite.

This great ambiance lulled me. I thought it was time to head off to my two star hotel and get some sleep.

What a fascinating journey.

Oh, I've made a pencilled-in appointment to return someday. Farewell, Malioboro! Astalavista!

No comments:

Post a Comment